jueves, 25 de julio de 2024

the very last solitude

 I DREAMED


in the hour of the very last solitude


the digging of my grave


Carefully, little by little, I brought to light


the four objects that would accompany me to my final destiny


Attached to my body, two of them were African masks.


On top of my empty eyes two silver coins


 with Attic owls awaited 


for the lonely boatman of the lagoon left


When I thought I had finished digging myself


in the side wall of the hard drilled stone


 in that dry old desert


a low doorway appeared leading to another deeper chamber


There they kept


 those who buried me


 my best treasures


Lined up on low shelves thousands of books


awaiting resurrection to be read again


One by one without rest without pause


But 


I opened none of them


what's read is read 


as what is loved remains loved


in a corner of the soul


that I did not excavate


For when I looked at myself with the critical eye of an archaeologist


I knew the limit of my science


that I would never reveal the extreme passion


that in life I felt for the soft skin of the goddesses


of the queens and princesses I loved


to the point of almost dying in every endeavour


Never would the spatula or the goniometer


would ever account for the sighs nor the words


That my dry ears heard in life


Nor will the paintbrush or the scalpel ever reconstruct


the agitated breathing after every adoration


of every kiss


of every tender word


that my tongue already parched


already dust of the desert


can never repeat


To excavate my dream


 in that hour of fruitful solitude


showed me how happy


I was in life


and at the beginning of death


Then 


with the passing of time


all is oblivion 


and silence


even


for the dust


 that once


was flesh 


in love.


Translated from memories of a close future by Igor